Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Child-like

Jesus says to become like little children. When I was a child I lacked power and control over the temperature in our home. My Dad grew up in a cold water flat. He was used to a cool in house temperature, and preferred it. When he came home from work he would turn down the thermostat to 68 degrees or so. Our house was radiator heated. Boy, did it get cold especially since it was before dinner so we were low on body fuel. I said, "When I get my own house, I will never be cold!" I would have control. I would not be a child anymore.

Now I live in a monastery during the summer. All the people around me want the windows open. It goes to 40 degrees at night. They want the windows wide open. As a mature adult, I could enter into discussion, negotiate and discuss and come to a consensus. I could also just close the windows when they all went to bed. But none of this would push the spiritual growth envelope.

To become a child in a way that would test my soul, I can accept as a conscious choice to let things be, to not get my way. The morning chill in the corridors is a daily reminder of why I am in this monastery in the first place. I am here to surrender to God and God's will for me. It is not about hot and cold. It is about

No comments:

Post a Comment