Monday, August 22, 2011

The Suburban God

Do we live with God in our lives as if God were our suburban next door neighbor? In suburban White Plains, NY, I had very little to do with the neighbors on either side of our separate home. I knew who they were, and was friendly enough whenever I saw them. If I needed something from them, then I would approach them, and they would be helpful. But otherwise, I got on quite well in my daily life without paying them too much mind.

Sound like a familiar prayer life? God is nearby. I am friendly enough when I think about it and especially attentive when I need something, but otherwise get on with my daily life, God in the background, and certainly not a part of my daily plans for happiness. Maybe that was the Garden for Adam and Eve. God is around, and all is peaceful enough, but not much interaction. Certainly, Adam and Eve don't seem to have much need for God talk in paradise. Maybe getting out was not such a bad idea, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment