Thursday, August 4, 2011

Faith and Doubt

I wake up with faith. I did nothing in my sleep to warrant being a believer. It is a gift. Would I not want to know more about this gift? How much time do I spend in the day examining my faith, its content, its influence on my life? I wake up with furniture in my room too. I don't think much about my furniture. I take it for granted, though I did not even purchase it. It is just "there." Is my faith treated like so much furniture?

Or am I like a child who is given a gift. For a while, I enjoy it, like First Holy Communion. It is precious and important to me. Then I begin to take it for granted, this gift freely given. Then I become bored with it. Same old, same old is how I act towards the gift. I put it aside. Maybe now and again I look at. My life goes along just fine without my old gift. Then there is a crisis! Do you need a crisis to become awakened to faith as a gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment