Sunday, August 28, 2011

Prayer of Anger

I love Jeremiah the prophet. He loves God enough to pray with anger toward God. "You duped me!" Jeremiah prays to God in Chapter 20 of the Book of Jeremiah. Jeremiah had given his life to God, become a prophet. He had accepted becoming the voice of God, challenging people to shape up. He was doing God's will. He was living a Holy life. So why did things not work out for Jeremiah? People did not listen to him. People did not change. People laughed at him and even wanted to be rid of him.

This God relationship was not working out. But Jeremiah loved God enough to spend time and energy praying his anger. What about us? I used to think that when people are angry with me, they did not like me. In fact, I believe they cared enough to get angry. If they did not care, they would have ignored me and just walked away from me.

How do you respond when your faith relationship with God does not bring good things to you? Do you just "drop out" of the relationship? Look elsewhere for satisfaction and fulfillment, outside of a spiritual life with God? Or do you love God enough to get angry with God, to spend your time and energy in praying your anger to God? When things don't work out according to your plans, try the prayer of anger, and see if lightening strikes. I don't think lightening will strike. God can handle our anger. Jeremiah did not drive God away.

If I am wrong and lightening strikes, well, you won't be around to say, "See, I told you so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment