Monday, September 5, 2011

Better or Worse

It started out as a little, occasional cough. I continued to exercise, to sleep with air conditioning, to get up early and not get enough sleep. Then I traveled to top it off. Now I have full blown cold, congestion and cannot talk. One never gets better by ignoring the signals of sickness. Now I am pretty useless.

The spiritual life can get sick too if we ignore it's daily maintenance and care. At first we ignore it in small ways. We skip some prayer or reading. Then we begin to fill our time that had been for prayer, with other stuff, some of which we think is so important. We more and more say yes to the endless requests of others for this and that. Before we know it we are praying about as much as an atheist!

So, what have you done so far today to care for the life of the spirit within? Reading this blog won't be enough. Writing it was not enough, I can assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment