Thursday, September 8, 2011

Outsides and Insides

I walked by a store today that had a street display of "Tibetan" clothes. I wondered if there might be a store in Tibet that had a display of "Boulder" clothes and what that might look like. I don't see many Tibetans around here, so I guess there must be a local market for Boulderites to want to wear something Tibetan. Why?

It might be the colors or the style that appeals. Or maybe people want to have a Tibetan look. No matter the reason, the clothes won't make someone Tibetan. Outward appearances don't change the insides. I can wear my priest clothes, black shirt and collar. People may call me "Father" and think things about me that ought to go with the clothes. But wearing the clothes does not make me a person of God. That takes work. It is easy to buy an outfit and make believe, but it won't change me on the inside. I have to do the hard work of prayer, meditation, reading, healthy living, to be able to be a priest on the inside. When I run around in plain shirt and jeans people ignore me. But I may be very holy that day and no one notices. The inside work is for God and not for public recognition.

I can look at a parent with some children in tow and say that is a parent. Well yes, biologically. But do they do the hard work of parenting or do they yell, beat, feed sugar filled diet, or ignore the children? Then they look like a parent on the outside. They get the title "Mom" or "Dad" but it is only outside. Same with "Wife" and "Husband." Are you just outside stuff today, or doing the hard inner work?

No comments:

Post a Comment