Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blessed are the poor

I am reflecting on my crummy cold/flu. I feel lousy which is par for the course. When I get well, I will celebrate the renewed health, that I usually take for granted. If I never got sick, I would never really appreciate my health. I cannot make myself get well. I can just wait and not do anything to get worse. Tea, rest, chicken soup, etc. might seem to help, but really the body has to be given time.

Jesus says in Luke's gospel, "Blessed are the poor." What is so blessed about being poor? Now I see something. The poor cannot seem to make themselves rich. They do not control their day. They try and survive. When something good happens, they rejoice more than those who are richer and expect good things to happen. Trust in God becomes more important to the poor. To be blessed means to be able to celebrate the good things in life and not take them for granted, or expect they are owed to us as some right. You think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Father Terry--I love your blog. I mostly read blogs about running, but I always check in with your blog for a spiritual reality check. Now I'd like to start to improve my prayer life. What would you recommend for a first step? If you have time, please email me at terzahbecker@gmail.com. I often pray on my runs, but am not consistent about it at all.

    ReplyDelete