Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cures and Solutions

There is a gospel in Matthew, where on son says yes to his father but then does no and the other son says no, but then changes his mind and does yes. There is really no cure for bad behavior. A cure means that we used to act badly and now we won't do that behavior anymore. When you say someone is "cured" of cancer, you mean it has gone away.

We always have the bad behavior gene in our human condition. One good "yes" to do the right thing, whether sooner or later, does not mean we will never say "no" again. Even the saints realize this. We are always in need of some conversion. The spiritual life is never complete. Perfection is not for this life.

There is no cure, but we do have a solution to bad behavior. To know we are not perfect and must work at prayer and humility each day, is part of the solution. I admit I need God's help each day. I am not cured, but God is the solution. God comes with grace to me when I am open to it and see my need for it. Are you in the solution today?

No comments:

Post a Comment