Monday, September 26, 2011

Wedding Garment

Baptism gets me into the kingdom. The gospel uses the image of wedding feast. I really did not ask to be baptized. I was a baby. Then again, many who came to the wedding feast in the gospel were not asked. They were just brought there from the highways and byways.

It seems that there is a pretty wide funnel to get into the feast, or the kingdom. We are called "friends" by the one who is putting on the feast. That one represents God I think. If this is the kingdom, there seems to be a lot of mess in it. The church, the world, my own spiritual life is far from perfect. So there must be more. There is.

To get fully into the kingdom, such as eternal life and life with God hereafter, I had better have on my wedding garment. A fellow was found at the feast who had no wedding garment. He got tossed into the outer darkness. Not good.

I must clothe myself in Christ on a daily basis. I can go to mass. I can go to communion. No questions asked. Sacraments may be just getting in the door and finding a seat. To stay and truly enjoy, I need to doing more than just showing up. Woody Allen says showing up is 80% of life. Yeah, but it is the other 20% that I have to work on. I want the light. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment