Monday, May 7, 2012

The Finish

I was watching the Kentucky Derby horse race this weekend.  One horse ran in the lead for most of the race.  He was way ahead of the field with about 300 meters to go.  Then you could see him begin to struggle and slow down.  The others horses began to close the gap.  He lost the race.  I think about the spiritual path as not so much spectacular times each day, as doing something on a daily basis and letting it all add up.  I have seen high school and college age people pour themselves into religion.  They are zealots.  By the time they hit their latter 20s, they have dropped out, or drifted onto the edges of any practice.  Maybe it is a bit like the turtle and the rabbit.  So I try to do something on a regular basis, some regular prayer, but nothing spectacular.  I weave prayer into my daily routines.  I want to be doing this to the day I die.  That is the finish line, is it not?

2 comments:

  1. Catching up with your blog, Fr. Terry....The last few posts really spoke to me (an injured runner).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you suppose 20 somethings have dropped out or drifted to the edges of any practice? Could it be our liturgies are weak and not speaking to their needs? That they can't find living breathing community with which they can admire and want to emulate?
    Or because they see too much hypocrisy in the institution which they cannot abide?
    Or because they see Catholicism set back by a Pope who is rooted in old stale thinking?
    I don't know, sometimes its necessary to run fast like a hare, sometimes its best to take it slow and easy, or just plain stop!
    Spirit will lead each of us if we have a quiet mind and heart....
    Death...a finish line??? I see it as just another beginning...never ending, ever.

    ReplyDelete