Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Relax

Jesus says, "Rest in me," or "Abide in me," or "Remain in me."  What he means is that we should "relax" with him.  Not all of us can relax with our image of God.  Is God a Judge?  Is God ready to pounce on you for your imperfections, and faults?  Is God far away and impassive about your plight?  If so, then I suspect you won't feel much like "resting" or "relaxing" with that image.  I suggest you get a new image.  When you find an image or sense of God that is comforting, then you will be able to remain in God.  Jesus knew that as long as his followers were afraid of him in his risen body, they would not be able to relax with him.  I find the sense of "Simple, Loving Presence," to be one in which I can relax.  When focused on my own feelings of guilt or shame, I can relax with no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment