Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sun Gazing

I got to see the eclipse for a few minutes when the clouds moved away.  I used a dark piece of glass.  I can look at the sun through the glass.  I noticed that when I turned the glass plate to look in another direction, I could see nothing but darkness.  Only the bright sun could get through the dark glass.  Is it not that way in contemplate prayer?  You enter into the still silence of darkness.  The only light that can get through is the Light of the Mystical Presence.  Everything else, all your busy thoughts, are put into some obscurity.  In contemplative prayer, the Divine does not want competition.  All our catechism knowledge, answers to doctrinal questions, need to be put aside, so that the Real Light can come forth.  I have found that I am a better person when I do this, and not so good a person when I ignore the Light and try to get by on book learning, or good resolutions.  Resolutions and learning never seems to overcome my faults.  I do what I don't want to do.   But the Light, now that is a power greater than my tendency to bad behavior.

1 comment:

  1. We planned on going to the stadium after 6:00 PM Mass, if the sky was favorable, for the Eclipse observation. Driving to Mass, it did not look promising. We had little faith that going to the stadium was worth the effort. After Mass the sun was obscured by clouds, re-affirming our decision. We decided to head home. The clouds broke while we were driving on the Diagnol. The hour had arrived. We took quick glances at the Sun, but we were not equipped to be witnesses. Others continued to drive on the Diagnol, seemingly oblivious to the event. We were surprised by the peole stopped on the side of the road equipped with welding helmets and "eclipse glasses" enabling them to be witnesses. Our faith was renewed. We would arrive home in time for the maximum progression. We ran outside, but the sun was obscured by clouds.

    Even though we could not see the sun, knowledge assured us we we were in the presence of the Eclipse and participating as best we could.
    In ancient time, the disappearance of the Sun during an Eclipse without knowledge the Sun would return, proved frightening. The disappearance of the physical Light without Faith in His everlasting presence also proved frightening to many in ancient times, even with His reassurance of return. Like the traffic on the Diagnol during the Eclipse, He is ignored by many. We took quick glances, for we feared we would hurt our physical self, burning our Retinas Clouds should never get in the way of our observation of the Light, through our knowledge and faith in His presence and eventual return.

    ReplyDelete