Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Rights

I am standing beside a swimming pool, fully dressed.  I have a right to do this.  No law says I have to be in a bathing suit.  Someone jumps off the diving board and cannonballs into the pool.  Water splashes all over me.  My clothes are soaked.  The other person is evil or thoughtless.  Either way, I am wet.  I can get angry and demand that they respect my rights in the future.  Evil or thoughtless people will not change due to my angry demands.  If their behavior comes from being very self-centered, they will continue to do as they do.

I may say I have rights, but their exercise is limited by the behavior of others.  It is the way an imperfect world.  I have a right to cross the street at the intersection when the light favors me.  But first I look both ways.  If someone is moving into the walk zone with a big powerful car, my rights will not protect me from injury.  Rights can be fragile.  Thoughtlessness and self-centeredness are powerful.  Be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment