Monday, May 28, 2012

Idols

When I pray to my image of God, I am praying to n idol.  God has no image.  My imagination, my thinking mind has images, but they are just that.  They are not reality.  When someone says to me that they stopped praying to God because "God did not fix things," I say that they are praying to their image of God.  God is beyond anything we can know.  Praying without focusing on my thoughts of God can be touch, but it is the way to avoid praying to my mental idols of God.  If I let my imagination rule my prayer, then I am little better than the Romans who had all these gods they worshipped, or at least thought existed.  If anything, God is a Surprise.  Be open.  Those who are close-minded about God are people who at some point said their image of God does not exist.  They were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment