Monday, October 1, 2012

A New Church

There is a new church in our valley.  It will begin business this week.  Now some are already saying that the new church will take people from other churches.  Loss and gain=$$$ is behind this anxiety.  But I say that a new parish can better take care of the local scene.  People may switch because a place is more convenient for one reason or another.  I have always felt that my job was to preach the gospel.  My filter of the gospel will appeal to a certain type of person.  I never worry about people for whom convenience is the major issue.  They have their reasons and their priorities.  The Holy Spirit is at work.  I have worked in places that have little or no parking, difficult to get to, ugly building, but we never went broke from want of people.  I just control what I can control.  Preach to those who hunger for the word.  Tell people of God's unconditional love, and they will come.  Such love seems to be a well-kept secret in many parishes with pretty churches and big parking lots.

1 comment: