Friday, October 19, 2012

Baseball and Lapsed Catholics

When people join a church, they really join a particular parish too.  For most, belonging to the Catholic church means also belonging to a particular worshipping community.  I meet many a person who dropped out.  When I ask some questions I most often find that they could make no connect in the parish with actual worshippers.  Nobody talked to them.  They went to the clubby coffee and donuts, but were ignored.  Sometimes, they were off-put by too many people speaking a different language than they did.  They could connect with the Eucharist but not with people.  They called up to get involved in a volunteer job and no one called them back.  They had no liberal axe to grind.  They simple wanted to feel a more immediate part of something, to experience community.  They once loved church.  Now they don't.  Sad.

No one used to love baseball.  Either you love it or you don't.  Some people prefer football, but that sport is going nowhere with all the head injuries.  Some people will say they used to follow baseball, but their team got so bad for so long that they stopped following baseball.   When the team changes, and gets good again, these people will go back.  Why do people stay in love with baseball?  I go to a game.  I sit in my seat.  I know no one around me.  We can be from different cultures.  But I can immediately start up a conversation with a stranger about baseball.  We are immediately connected, even though we may have very different opinions about a baseball issue.  We enjoy the event together, not separately.  Between innings we might talk about things outside of baseball.  We instinctively know that anyone who loves baseball is a good person.  Football is too much about violence for us.  We have instant community based upon a common interest.  In church we have a common interest, belief, but not much community comes out of it.  In baseball, no one is in a hurry.  Boredom is not an issue.  In church, people are in a hurry.  Boredom is an issue.  I believe that Jesus is in church.  Well, he is the head of the church, so he has to be there.  But I wonder if he would prefer to hang around with baseball people at the park.  Go Giants!

2 comments:

  1. Yes very sad! Sounds very similar to our parish. As the elderly English speaking that were the foundation of starting the parish all pass away our parish is now pretty much focused only on the Spanish culture. When I was young we all worked so hard to build our community this is how we got to know each other. The newcomer Spanish have a new church and really don't have any time or need to have to work at the church unless they get a paycheck. You call our church office to volunteer, but they don't want you either unless you are bilingual. I worked very hard to complete all the Catechism classes and now really no use for me in my parish. To even volunteer at the Food Pantry you need to be bilingual. So yes after 50 years in the same parish I think it is time to look elsewhere. I have to say they are more into Football and Soccer, but I can relate more to baseball. Our team is in last place---so yes Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't Religion be Fun?
    I don't understand why church going and the "celebration of God" has to be so solemn in the Catholic church.  Can't we be joyfully and happily be reverent?  Does all celebration need to take place in sober contemplation?  Isn't there any laughter allowed?  From time to time, some tickle your toes giggling would be a nice change.  A hearty guffaw would be greatly enjoyed.  

    Maybe if we were expressing our inward joy a bit more outwardly, church could become a party place to celebrate God.  I think this would go a long ways towards attracting and keeping young people - old people too, for that matter.  

    ReplyDelete