Monday, October 8, 2012

I Got Plenty of Nothing

So the song goes.  It reminds me of St. Francis of Assisi again.  He actually was quite smart in his own way.  He did not want a job working for his Dad.  He wanted a career, a mission, a fulfilling vocation.  So what did he do?  He got rid of everything.  Once you have nothing, you don't have to settle for a job in order to pay for it all.  Why do most of us end up settling for jobs to get money to pay bills?  We have stuff, and people that cost money.  We get spouses, houses, children, cars, furnishings, and then junk/clutter.  I did some of this so I know.  I needed a job to pay for my stuff.  Then one day, the light went on.  I got rid of stuff and followed a career.  My life fit in a foot locker and the back seat of my car.  Eventually, I got rid of much of that too.  Over the years I have accumulated more stuff.  Now I say, "Oh, I cannot do this or go there."  Why?  Because it is such a pain to move all my stuff!  No wonder Jesus told his disciples to travel light.  I still wonder what happened to their spouses?

No comments:

Post a Comment