Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mediocre?

I gave one of my spirituality workshops this past weekend.  The attendance was the usual number that shows up for what I do.  But someone was there who had never heard me.  This was their first time coming to one of my workshops.  They said, "Boy, you have some following." She seemed surprised, as in why would so many people come out to listen to me?  I am bemused. There are members of my religious who seemed equally surprised at the number of people who would come out to listen to me.  There must be something about me that says "mediocre."  This is bad for my kind of work.  I am trying to get people to hire me to give talks.  But I seem to be putting my light under a bushel basket.  I wonder if God is bemused too.  After all, I thought that it was God who wanted me to do this work.  If so, then God is very inefficient, to choose such a mediocre package as me, to do mystical work.  I lack pizazz.  I am unpolished.  Time to retire?  Hope not.

6 comments:

  1. It should not necessarily be the quantity of individuals attend but the quality of the message delivered. I didn't know what to expect when I attended the session, but I left with a deeper peace and desire to "listen" to God. I am practing the brief meditation each morning, starting my day with listening to God and so far it is making me a kinder, gentler person. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think God loves the light more than the basket? Is it the destination or the journey? If one soul is touched and grows, isn't God pleased? Is the measure of a mystic the critical opinions of fellow religious, or the spiritual growth that flowers around him? I don't think you're a "retiring" fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Terry,
    We have always loved your talks and we try to follow your schedule too because you're a man of compassion; a great sense of humor and humility. In my personal turn around and efforts to transform and repent, I have always found strength and direction from you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not mediocre or unpolished. I think this person was paying you a compliment - she was impressed at the size of your flock. Your workshops are full of wisdom and salve - God will not let you quit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, the ego. It is ever present, isn't it?! You ask for guidance and follow it the best that you can. That is more than most of us. Keep on believing.

    ReplyDelete