Monday, October 22, 2012

Bandages

I have a wound on my arm from the removal of some cancer.  I have to actively work on the healing of this wound for several weeks.  I wash it clean each day.  I put ointment on it and bandage it daily.  My body does the rest.

I have a wound on my soul.  Only God can heal it.  What do I do then?  Admit that I have a wound and visit with the Spiritual Physician each day, maybe twice a day, to let God work on this wound in my heart.  The Physician has an office.  It is called my prayer space, my time/place of quiet and solitude.  The Physician might reveal to me the nature of my wound, how it is healing or not healing due to my attention or inattention.  I might get advice as to what I might do or not do to avoid further damage.  I know when the wound is getting worse because I feel worse.  Alone, I cannot make it better, but I can always make it worse by my own silliness.

What might cause the wound of my heart to grow bigger or deeper?  For me, self-will run riot.  When I keep my appointments with God, my self-will is quiet and inactive.  This, for me, is always a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I left my heart in San Francisco...GO GIANTS!
    Be well Fr. Terry

    ReplyDelete