Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Intention

Intention is at the heart of a monk's profession or vows or promises.  Chastity in a celibate lifestyle, poverty or simplicity of lifestyle, and obedience are often highlighted.  Behind them is the intention.  Why is the monk doing this?  The intention is to become conformed to Christ, grow into a deeper union with Christ in daily life.  It is to become transformed.  The monk usually leaves or is asked to leave because this intention does not seem to be bearing fruit in the monastic life.

In whatever spiritual path we chose, there must be some intention behind the daily activities.  The activity, in itself, may not get us where we intended to go.  In a 12 step recovery program, a person stops drinking, goes to meetings, gets a sponsor, works the steps, and is helpful to others.  My sense is that all this is to help them to find a higher power such that these people become transformed.  How will someone know that they are being transformed?  Don't worry.  People will tell you in their own way.

In my work as a priest, I must have an intention behind all that I do.  Otherwise, the doing of daily tasks become a job and not a way of life, not a path to the Spirit.  My day needs a mix of solitude, work, being with others in friendship, reading and exercise.  I will assume sleep and eating here.  Even in a monastery, all this must be present in some daily combination.  Now if I am on a silent retreat, I will have more solitude and less work or interpersonal relations.  But overall I know what my intention is when I became a priest.  The old-time term was, "To save my immortal soul." This keeps it real for me.  Each day, I try to renew my intention.  What is your intention behind your daily lifestyle?  You have no intention?  Well, you might qualify as "lost sheep."  If so, God has a special affection for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment