Thursday, October 11, 2012

More Cancer


Today, I go under the knife, or the knife goes scrapping over my skin to remove yet more cancer.  Seems each time I go to get my checkup I have some more stuff to be cut away.  This time it is on my upper left arm.  I am a lefty.  Besides the inconvenience, each time I have a medical "issue" I am faced with my mortality.  Life gets real.  Instead of thinking how I want to live my 80s, I am a bit more grateful for today.  I do more short-range planning.  I continue to run and exercise, but such attempts to have eternal life in this physical body are revealed today as an illusion.  Prayer is the exercise for the eternal life of which Jesus was speaking.  If I run an hour, do I pray an hour?  I can take a day off from exercise and this can be a benefit physically.  To take a day off from prayer, well, that is not so good.  Today I will do my hour and a good part of that will be praying that the one holding the knife gets it all, and I don't whine on the table.

3 comments:

  1. Thomas, the monk, once left me with a message.." pray for one another." I enjoy occassional reading your blog, and like one of my spiritual advisors reminds me, " remember God's gotcha."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always something, isn't it?
    Today is the gift
    AA is always reminding us as we'll as Scripture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancer sucks - but I have faith in your faith.

    ReplyDelete