Saturday, October 27, 2012

Familiarity Breeds What?

I have come to realize that most everyone who either lives or works with me, does not read my blog.  They know I have a blog.  They are not interested.  They might very well prefer to read some Vatican functionary or oracle.   It seems the better you know me, the less interested you are in what I have to say.  I am my own worst advertising.  I am much better from a distance, I guess.  From a podium in a lecture, or from the pulpit at mass, I am fine.  People listen.  But as an everyday guy, I seem to have no magic, no special wisdom.  Maybe it is my rabid interest in sports?  Or my whining?  Moodiness?  Come to think of it, I am a bit of a bozo!

But it is not just me.  Go back to that Vatican fellow you listen to, maybe some cardinal in the Curia.  He or they are far away, and walk about in strange garb.  I have found that those insiders, who know how the Vatican really functions, are much less impressed with the people you hold in high regard.  Maybe we all have a little bozo in us.  Otherwise, why would we need salvation?  How fascinating that God dwells in any of us.

3 comments:

  1. Noooo! I would say it is the people who don't know you well enough that aren't interested in your blog. Those that know you at a deeper level know from where you speak, they care, and they keep reading. It is like the Church--you have to be pretty deep into it to keep coming back, despite all their screw ups.

    It is not so important that your fellow Paulists or religious read your blog. Better to have the people that want to got closer to you and what you speak--those are the people I would want in my camp, reading my blog.

    Let thy ego go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind of wondering, since were are made in his image - and I'm personally positive that God likes a little laugh now and again - does that mean he too has a bit of bozo?

    My experience is that most of us are self absorbed and when we live or work with someone, we think we know them so well we don't have to put effort into the relationship. Maybe they're internet ignorant and don't know how to subscribe to a feed? That is probably the better explaination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being new to Religion and Catholicism the Bible has never been a a go-to resource because it wasn't relevant. However, when I need inspiration, I come here. Simple yet thoughtful daily homilies. I've never met you but I've heard you at Mass - and I was moved to come here. Please continue! ... and I'm working on the Bible thing.

    ReplyDelete