Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fools

We Catholics are sometimes called fools for asking Saints to help us get something.  I was driving out to a church on the other side of town and realized that I was running out of time before the mass I was supposed to celebrate.  Traffic was a mess.  So I prayed to Jesus, Mary and St. Christopher to find me a parking place on the street when I got to the church.  Sure enough there was a spot for me less than a block away and I made it to mass on the scheduled time.

Fool huh?  Well, think about it.  If I was not a Catholic saint praying person, the anxiety about not finding a parking place might have sent me into some rage over the traffic, or fear of showing up late.  Emotionally, I would have been a mess.  Is that any way to be preparing to say mass?  Instead, I calmly prayed.  I was at prayer while driving to the church.  What a way to prepare, and to avoid emotional jags.  Jesus did call one person a fool.  He was the fellow who tore down one barn, built a larger one, stored all his immense wealth into it, only to be called to judgment before he could enjoy any of his wealth.  A parking space is enough for me, thank you.  In San Francisco, that is a very rare and precious thing.

4 comments:

  1. Father,
    Anger is like a snake in my pocket; I never know when it will bite me and when I lose it, I sound like my dad; what is that?
    "Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry; for anger rests in the bosom of fools" Ecclesiastes 4:26,27

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret-it only causes harm" Psalm 37;8.9

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often been the recipient of a requested parking spot. I've gone so far as to ask my kids in the back seat to pray with me when I'm desperate for one.

    When a spot is granted (and even when it isn't) we are quick to send up gratitude in reply. We try to pray just as hard in thanks as we do for the original request.

    I find that the more I show gratitude, the less I need. The less I need, the more space there is in my day to devote to experiencing the Holy Spirit in my day.

    May you be blessed with the very best parking spaces as you serve our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesteгԁay, ωhilе I waѕ at work,
    my cousin ѕtole mу aρple іpаd
    аnd teѕted to ѕee if it сan ѕurviѵe a twenty fivе foot droρ,
    just ѕo she cаn bе а уоutube sensation.
    Ϻy iPad is now broken and she has 83 ѵiews.
    I κnoω thіs is entіrelу оff toрic but I had to ѕhare it with sоmeοne!


    my web-ѕite: facebook cuenta gratis

    ReplyDelete