Sunday, December 9, 2012

I Never Knew You

An old friend of mine came to mass this past weekend but did not come up to me and say hello.  We had not seen one another in years, but we spent time together when we were in seminary.  So I only found out later that he had been at the mass in which I presided and preached.  What I found out is that he did not come up to the priest because he did not know him.  From my past, we were friends.  From his past, I was a stranger.  Besides being a reminder of how forgettable I am, it made me think of my relationship with God.  From my side, God and I are friends.  I assume that God's side is the same as mine.  But if I spend blocks of time away from God, my prayer life, might I not hear, "I never knew you."  Why do we assume that with absence, and neglect, our God connect remains the same?  Friends can forget me, but God, don't forget me!  For this, I might be a wee bit responsible on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment