Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Manger

Why did God come as a baby, and not in power and majesty?  If God came in power would we not all be blown away and become believers?  Yes, but.  Would we change?  I suspect God knew more about out human nature than we did.  Have you never had a powerful experience, falling in love, a sunset/sunrise, an entertainment/cultural high moment, but in time you just returned to your old selfish self?  Change, to be ongoing, is hard and daily work.  We would like spiritual highs, but do not really want to let go of the things that give us pleasure or make us feel good/better.  We want to feel good, but not necessarily do good.  I know this for myself.  God came with a lack of power and control.  Maybe real change comes for me when I realize that, left to my own devices, left to myself, I have no real power to change for the better.  Bad habits are easy to do. That is why they are called habits.  A good habit starts with one great effort to reverse the bad, but the bad will predominate for a while.  We need lots of help to keep up that one good action on a daily basis.  I have found it to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment