Monday, December 24, 2012

Options To Aloneness

When I ask someone why they are against gay unions, I am often told it is "because this is what the church teaches."  Well, the church teaches lots of stuff, such as being against Capital Punishment, but many Catholics believe in such a thing.  I wonder if the outsider, the heterosexual, has some other reason.  Regardless, isn't someone who cannot have a partner, a life long love, left with loneliness as the option?  I quote one gay person that might make you think.  He said, "I believed that aloneness was my nature as a gay person."  Then he met someone.  It brought him out of isolation.  He said, "By giving my heart to one, I could give my heart to others."  His relationship helped him become a more loving person to the larger world.  He is a Catholic by the way.  How many heterosexual couples trundle off to their gated communities, special neighborhoods, to protect themselves from the world out there?  Doesn't the word, "Catholic" have something to do with making whole, with bringing differences together?  It makes me think.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it say in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin? Isn't that why the Church is against it? It seems to me that God made us all and loves us all. Maybe it is another of those ideas that should be obsolete now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loneliness does not have to be the only option. Celibacy can be difficult along with the temptations. A relationship with the Holy Spirit can open your heart to love other freely. There is a way to become part of a family or community. There are many items that the Church teaches to be sins, but some focus on this as the worst. Any sex outside of marriage is a sin, but many don't think hetersexual sex is that bad? I was shocked at what I heard Catholics say while at a Diocesan Sexual Teaching workshop. The scenario was given to us of letting our children play over at same sex couple house.... Some individuals said horrible comments when some of us noted that it would not be a problem for us. It was scarry that these evil comments about homosexuals was being made by CCE Teachers. I guess that is why many see Catholics as hypocrits.

    ReplyDelete