Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Mess

God is with us in the mess.  This is the meaning of Incarnation.  God became human, a baby, with no more power than any other baby.  He came into a world full of evil.  He left the world and it was still full of evil.  I wanted God to change the world and make it free of evil.  Do I not wear a crucifix around my neck?  Make the sign of the cross?  God is present in my world, but there is still a lot of evil.  There is also a lot of mental disability too.  Maybe Herod suffered from such when he slaughtered all those babies in Bethlehem.  I rejoice that God is in the mess, but sad and frustrated that it is not all fixed up by God.  Maybe I am supposed to be part of the solution.  Well, I cannot fix mental illness, chemical imbalances in peoples' brains, but I can do what I can do, which is to love.  If I am not sure how to do that I can read Holy Scriptures in my faith or other religions to get some guide.  Then I will still face the cross.  But I will understand it better.  Without love, the cross makes one a sceptic.

1 comment:

  1. I think God was with the helpers. That is what I take away from this unthinkable tragedy. That He gave the teachers and police officers his hand and gave them the strength to think not of themselves but to help those that they could.

    ReplyDelete