Saturday, September 5, 2015

Book Of Mormon

I recently saw the play, "Book Of Mormon."  It is very irreverent and has lots of bad words, but I laughed a lot.  The main writer of this musical was a New York City Catholic when he was younger.  I thought that the whole play was going to make fun of religious belief in general, not just Mormonism.  But what struck me as the play came to an end with a rousing finale of group song, is that the people all believed in doing better in their life.  There is something at work that brings out a good in us.  The religious leaders of Mormonism in the play, wanted a certain kind of "orthodox" Mormonism, but the people end up with kind of a hybrid "The Book of Arnold," as they dub it.  But this belief makes them better people.  It is very difficult, in my experience, to become a better person without a belief in something more than our little personal world.  If I burn for laughing so much, I hope it is not like the bad Mormon dream of hell.

2 comments:

  1. Father, I, too, laughed at some parts of this show. Some of the history of the Mormons is just difficult to believe. But then I think of Christianity and know some of our stories can raise an eyebrow. I guess it comes down to faith. Thought you might enjoy this review of the show by a Mormon.
    http://onbeing.org/blog/nothing-sacred-satire-comes-to-salt-lake-city/7883

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw "Book of Mormon" in a venue where the acoustics were terrible and I missed too many punch lines. I expected to see
    some mocking of all religions but the feeling I came away with was that God was being mocked and that was disturbing.

    ReplyDelete