Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Gift

I met a friend of mine from my past in Knoxville.  She brought her three year old daughter with her.  The little girl was sleepy and in her mother's arms.  This was before mass.  After mass, she was quite articulate.  All these big adults were standing around, but the child kept in the conversation. She did not back off, yet she was not offensive.  Ask her a question and you get a rather articulate answer.  She even used a three syllable word. She can read at three years of age.  The tough part for someone with such a gift is to be able to develop her potential while still trying to fit in with peers.  She could be in K grade with five year olds, but she is not emotionally five.  I think all of us need a group, a community where we can fit in, while still developing our unique talents.  We are all special in some way and yet all part of something larger than ourselves.  My spiritual search is with community but I also need solitude and freedom to pursue my interests.  Maybe this is why I am an itnerant speaker who lives in four places.  Find community but don't ask too much of them.  And don't ask too little of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment