Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Double Knots

I just learned how to tie a double knot in my shoe and still be able to pull one end of the shoelace to undo it all.  I am 72 and just learned something new.  The way I had been taught to tie a double knot long ago was to tie one knot and then over that first knot, tie another.  But to undo it all, one has to bend down and undo the second knot before you can pull the end of the shoe lace to undo the first knot.  That takes time.  This new way, I learned in a workshop I was giving recently on contemplative prayer.  My single knot shoe lace came undone at the beginning of my talk and several people were concentrating on the loose lace and might I trip.  I guess I was not saying anything relevant to dissuade their attention.  So my audience may have profited nothing from my talk, but I learned how to make this new double knot.  You make the first knot, but before you finish there is a way to loop back into the first knot.  The shoe stays tied, and when I want to untie it I simply pull on the end of one of the laces as in a single knot.  Eureka!  I might have been the only one who learned anything new in my own teaching that day.  So why should any of us think we know it all when it comes to religion, relationship, job, family?  There is always something more to learn if we are open.  If I cannot teach you how to pray more deeply, I at least can now teach you how to tie your shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment