Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Discoveries

It makes my day when I learn something new.  I borrow books from libraries, usually novels.  In Boulder, Colorado the main library is downtown, within walking distance of my house.  It is usually very crowded, and it is big.  I went on line to find a book.  The main library did not have it but two others did.  The list gives only initials for the library, so I called up to find out what the initials meant.  One was for another library I had been to.  The other was for a "Reynolds" library.  I asked what town that was in.  Right here in Boulder at the South end of town across from a supermarket where I go for pharmacy prescriptions.  I never knew this library even existed.  Off I went to find, explore and get my book.  Turns out the library is hidden on a main road.  It blends in with other buildings and the signage is apparent only if you are looking for it.  Turns out this library is quite wonderful with NYT for today on the rack and plenty of room for noisy children to be out of the way of us adults when we read our newspapers and magazines.  It made my day.  I know people who want to know nothing new.  New threatens them.  This is especially so in the religion business.  Whatever you learned in catechism class or yeshiva must be so and cannot be otherwise, regardless of new discoveries in science and technology.  If the Bible says it, so be it.  No place for metaphor or new interpretations.  The old is good.  But it might not be the final word.  Earlier today, the old truth for me was that there are three libraries in Boulder.  Now I find out there are four.  The three still exist.  But something new was discovered.  It was always there, but until today, unknown to me.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this nice post, Father Terry! I'm a lurker on your blog and a librarian at the Main Library. I'm glad you like our Reynolds branch. It is indeed a cozy spot. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another library close to you. It's right off of Mapleton and Pine and Broadway. It's the CU historical library. It's a very interesting library and nice and quiet.

    ReplyDelete