Sunday, October 11, 2015

Fear

I grew up in the Bronx which is part of New York City.  Outside of my little neighborhood, school, church, Mom and Pop stores, local movie theatre, I rarely went anywhere else.  It never occurred to me.  Occasionally, Mom would take me shopping with her.  It was still the Bronx and I would stay close to her.  When I got older, I found out that other children actually went to Manhattan, to museums, theaters, live entertainment, parks and famous New York City sights.  It was when I began to realize that I was a bit of a fear-based kid.  What I do now to overcome it, is research a city when I live there or near to a city.  I find out what is going on in museums, theaters/shows, and sights.  I find out how public transportation works to get me around.  And I don't wait to find someone to accompany me.  It is nice at times if someone does go with me, but I don't wait around for their schedule to open up.  With today's computer apps it is rather easy to figure out a lot of things about a city and how to maneuver around in it.  I ask questions too.  Sometimes I find that I know a lot more about a city than people who have lived there a long time.  Fear hides itself behind a lot of excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment