Monday, October 12, 2015

On The Margins

The Pope says that we should love people on the margins.  What is a margin?  People who feel that they don't fit in, who feel outside of acceptable society, feel they are different in not so good a way, feel lonely, who rarely feel included or rarely want to be included.  These are just some examples.  Such people are in twelve step rooms, shelters for the homeless, soup kitchens, workplaces and churches.  Some of them I find it easy to identify, but some not.  Having a pleasant appearance, a job, good grades, rewards and recognition  can be a cover.  Living on the "margin" takes many forms.  I try to be careful that I do not ignore people or brush them off.  But sometimes I am on the margin in my own life.  The wall goes up.  It is a thin wall, usually with a sign up that says, "NO." It really means, "Ask again."  My friends have figured that out.  For this, I am blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment