Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Free Market

I don't think there really is anything like "free" market economies.  There are so many things that control your freedom to do things.  If you make a product, you can only make as much of that product as you can find the materials, commodities, and workers to make the product.  Then you can only sell it at a price that someone is willing to pay.  Supplies, labor, and price limit what you can do and still stay in business with a reasonable profit. You are not free to live in San Francisco.  Too many people tried that and now the cost of housing has priced out most people.  Only the crazed and the self-centered think in terms of unlimited freedom.  When they act "freely" they end up in self-destruction and usually take others down with them.  In my life, I seem to be more free than before I became a priest.  I thought I was giving up a lot, but find that now I live in four wonderful places, get invited to interesting new places, seem to have no income and yet have what I need or even want.  It may be that when we try to get "more" freedom we end up constricted and when we give up things, life seems to expand our horizons.  I think there is some spiritual maxim here.  The one who loses their life will find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment