Monday, February 1, 2016

Being Of Service

Recently I found out that a young woman who I have hardly seen in years, wanted me to preside at her wedding. Some years ago she had been a student at the local Catholic elementary school when I was preaching at their masses and on weekends in the parish.  I did my best back then to be helpful and useful to the spiritual life of the children, but they rarely said anything to me, so I assumed that I was not very good or helpful.  Turns out she was listening and I made a difference.  We should never judge our service work, attempt at good deeds, being helpful, based upon feedback.  Don't judge at all.  You never know.  Besides, if the work made you a better person, then it is all worthwhile.  I have heard AA people say that being of service kept them sober that day.  Being of service keeps me on the spiritual path and gets me out of being self-focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment