Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Selling

I was a terrible stockbroker but am a rather good teacher as a priest.  Both careers involved selling.  I am an introvert.  I cannot be very public and forthright about something that does not interest me.  I cannot fake it.  I was not interested enough in being a retail stockbroker.  I was good at grinding out contacts because I have that ability to stay at a task, but I was no good at the actual selling of a stock or bond.  On the other hand, I love to talk about the contemplative life of prayer, and church history.  I have a great interest in these fields, and again, I can do the hard work of understanding some obtuse mystic, and then translating it into words that are more understandable and practical for people with a like interest.  I can stand up in public and talk if I am prepared and interested in the topic.  Canon Law bored me.  It might be important, but not to me.  I could never spend time researching or lecturing about it.  People ask why I became a priest.  One of my reasons is that it is a good fit in what I do, and who I am.  I hope your life is a good fit today.

No comments:

Post a Comment