Saturday, November 3, 2018

A Power

I met a guy who said that he was having trouble with this “God business.”  It turns out this fellow used to be a horrible drunk, addicted to alcohol.  He could not stop drinking once he got started.  But now he was free of the desire for alcohol.  “How did you do that?” I asked him.   He told me some things that he did, sobe friends he had made, but ultimately he had no idea how the desire to drink left him.  I suggested it might be “God.”  He was conflicted because his idea of God was this separate person out there somewhere who never did much good for him.  “Maybe your idea of God is just an idea,” I said.  “Maybe God is not so much a separate person out there, a noun, but rather a verb, Love.”  He is pondering this.  To me, God is action, relationship, love.  This is why I prefer Contemplative type prayer. It lets go of the noun God, the idea, the thought of God, and lets the Power be love.

No comments:

Post a Comment