Monday, November 26, 2018

Positive Adjustment

An 85 year old man found out that he had cancer in both lungs.  What to do?  I immediately thought of possible treatment decisions.  But he did not think of that first if at all.  He said, “What I need to do now is learn to be 85 with cancer in both lungs.”  His focus was on being rather than on doing.  When faced with unpleasant news or situations I usually think in terms of “doing.”  The doing part might have a mixture of revenge, jealousy, anger, judgement, whining, and then action based upon all that negativity.  I forget that asking what I am going to “be” in a situation is more of a choice rather than a reaction to a feeling.  I can be helpful, loving and kind though I might be feeling some anxiety and fear.  I need to learn how to live today with air in both lungs!  And gratitude in my heart.  Maybe happy, joyous, and free?

1 comment:

  1. "Learning how to be" is a lifetime commitment!
    Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete