Sunday, November 18, 2018

The Later Stages of Growth

I am such a dummy.  I was teaching in San Rafael, California yesterday and thought I did a good job talking about the spiritual life.  But I forgot stuff.  I talked a lot about becoming all God meant you to be, fulfilling your gifts and talents.  We learn this, not from the culture, but from the interior life of prayer.  Fine.  But there is more.  Christians are supposed to become Christ.  Well, Christ is supposed to be God.  If so, then why did Jesus come and live the simple life of a lower class blue collar tradesperson, a carpenter?  He had so much talent.  He is God!  He could do so much more, right? The lesson God is teaching us in this Incarnation, God in human form, is that at some advanced stage we let go of even our talents, our accomplished life, and live a simple life, even seemingly ignored by “important” people, not trying to consume more than we need.  From this way, we become even more in union with the divine who let go of all to be close to us.  Maybe then we will understand the wisdom sayings of Jesus even more deeply.  I have a ways to go still.  Maybe I will let go of teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment