Saturday, November 24, 2018

Luke 10: 23

"Blessed are the eyes that see what you see."  Stephen Covey says that we tend to see the world not as it is, but as we are.  The thing that attracted me to my teacher, Fr. Thomas Keating, is that I wanted to see the world as he saw it.  I had a spiritual blindness.  I was blinded by my own narrow and shallow world, dimmed by my past, my shortcomings and faults.  I had "baggage," as we say.  Don't we all?  But Keating seemed to have a lightness of being that shone through his manner.  So now I have the desire to see as God, the Creator, sees.  I had to stop seeing God as this separate person in the heavenly realms.  I still have this childhood tendency, but it does not predominate.  I found that my thoughts were simply, well, my thoughts, and not a way to "Truth."  Thinking has its place, but it is not the be all.  So, each day I spend a bit of time ignoring me, my plans, my thoughts and mind-filled images, and just be.  If I want to see, I spend some time with m eyes closed and my heart open.

No comments:

Post a Comment