Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving.  I had a friend once who said that she had worked the steps of Alcoholics Anonymous to find happiness.  I asked her, "Did you find happiness?"  "No," she said.  "All I found was my faults and failings and the wreckage of my past."  "Then what?" I asked.  "Then I asked God to take my faults away, but I still seem to have them.  I apologized to people, pray, but am not content, and many days not very happy."  "Well," I said, "Why not try to be an effective help in the lives of others?"  (That might be step 12, for those who don't know.)  I think that happiness, or contentment lies hidden behind the door of helping others, or being of service to others.  So on this Thanksgiving Day, why not be of some use to someone else, and see if you feel more thankful?  If someone else is cooking, why not set the table, make the gravy (my job today) or take out the garbage?  Or go clean up for those many volunteers who serve the poor today?  I think it beats sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself.  No one loves you?  Hmmm.  Could be a reason for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment