Monday, November 5, 2018

Presumption Not Hope

People sometimes mix up presumption with Hope.  Presumption says things like, “Oh, it will be OK. No big deal,” or “She/He will let it go.  They are very forgiving,” or “They have thick skin.  They will let it slide.”  Such attitudes as that is not hope.  We presume so much.  I have seen it in religion and recovery programs, and spiritual paths of all sorts.  People don’t do the work but think things will go along just fine.  A good past effort is only connected to a good future by presumption if you are not going to continue to do the good that got you where you are today.  “I used to go to meetings.  I used to meditate.  I feel fine but don’t need those things anymore.”  “God loves me.  All will be fine.”  God or your HP does the heavy lifting and you coast?  Presumption.  Hope says, “I do not deserve forgiveness.  I have messed up and deserve the consequences, but HOPE that I will be forgiven.”  People of hope work out of a deeper sense of gratitude and powerlessness.  I hope that I will or won’t do certain things today.  Now I had better get to work.  Hope cooperates with love, that is the love of God or another person.  When you presume things about your partner, mate, spouse, you are on a slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment