Friday, February 22, 2019

Being Defined By Others*

We have a lot of teenage virgins who are martyrs in my church.  They would rather suffer torture and death, than to marry the guy who is having them killed for rejecting him.  Pious people in my religion give a theological reason: they are the bridegroom of Christ.  But for those of you who don’t find that at all helpful, I will give a more modern reason.  These teenage girls are not going to let men define who they are.  Men define women by common narrow terms of pretty and good for sex and babies.  That satisfies the male dominated culture.  These teen martyrs rejected that.  Men or parent expectations, or the fears of friends, will not define them, and they are ready to suffer for their beliefs.  You go against the male powers and you will suffer, girls.  But then I don’t think any teenage girls are reading my blogs.  But I have a great respect for these teen martyrs of courage.  Who defines you?

No comments:

Post a Comment