Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Spanish Mass

I went to Houston this past weekend to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Spanish mass that I began in my first Paulist parish, as a newby priest.  I did not know much Spanish, taking lessons from my teacher each week at her kitchen table.  She was a good teacher.  I was not too good a student.  She had great patience.  My homilies were about three minutes long.  Up to then, we had only English masses and many people thought we did not need a Spanish mass.  Turned out, there were many people living in the parish area who spoke only Spanish.  They spoke very fast and I understood very slowly, so I was not all that pastoral.  But when I moved on to my next parish assignment, the Paulists sent a Spanish speaking priest to continue with that once-a-week Spanish mass.  The Paulists continued this ministry until they left the parish in 1993.  Today, the Scalabrini Fathers have the parish and there are five Spanish masses each weekend.  A Thousand children attend religion classes and most are taught in Spanish.  There are several more buildings added to the complex and St. Leo the Great is now probably the largest Spanish mass parish in the huge Archdiocese of Houston.  Not bad for a dummy like me.  Probably the best thing I ever did as a priest.  And they 💖 me in Houston!

3 comments:

  1. We sure do love you in Houston (and Spring too). Thanks so much for your "yes" to God and for serving our Parish way back then. I am so VERY happy that I got to see you while you were here last weekend. Love you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, "many people thought you did not need a Spanish mass," but you thought it was the right thing to do and took action. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our simple life love play a major role in it, going through a heartbreak can course you to lose focus, being in love doesn’t means that there will not be challenges or argument but it take a mature minds to handle the situation, if you are having issues in your relationship or going a break up, you can simply contact Dr Ekpen for solution he will help you bring love back into your relationship. Contact him via ekpentemple@gmail.com or whatsapp +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete