Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Vocation

If you are unhappy with work and relationship, I don't think that is a good time to "choose" a vocation.  I think that we need to be a bit settled or maybe even happy in our heart, and then we can choose.  When I first decided to enter the seminary, I was unhappy with my life.  Fortunately, it would be a five year process, so that when I did decide that I wanted to be ordained, I was more settled.  I enjoyed what I was doing.  Thomas Merton says that vocation is not about becoming something or someone I am not, but about becoming the person I was born to be.  It is important to be comfortable in my own skin, rather than ask someone else to make me happy.  Lots of divorce and broken relationships, broken hearts come from the job description, "make me happy."

1 comment: