Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Being Ready*

If someone asks me for help in becoming a better person, developing a better spiritual connection, or work on some personal problem, I try not to freak out with the thought, “OMG, I don’t want to mess them up with bad advice,” or “I am not good enough, or smart enough, or knowledgeable enough to help.”  I have learned from others that if the person asking me for help is ready, there is nothing I can do wrong, and if they are not ready, there is nothing I can do right.  I am not God or a Higher Power.  I don’t make someone sober, or keep them sober or make them spiritual giants.  So I do the best that I can, and that is enough.  It is a Power much greater than myself with which they will cooperate if they are ready.  But no one can get what they don’t want.  On my good mornings I ask myself, “Do you want to be the best you can be today, Terry?”  Prayer, mediation, reading and talking with other people on the journey to growth, all help to make a weak or ambivalent “yes” I much stronger and more positive, “YES!”  How is your “yes” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment