Saturday, April 6, 2019

Through Others*

A friend of mine said, "I don't see no god working in my life!  God has abandoned me."  Now my friend used to be a mess of misery and social failure.  But today he is living a much more balanced and useful life, noted by an increase in patience, acceptance and compassion.  He told me he tries to pray but feels nothing of a god there.  He sees a messed up world and where is god in all that?  In a nutshell, he has no direct experience of god in his life.  Just a blank.  I said, "You seem to be more at peace now than when I first met you.  How did that happen?"  He said, "Oh, I get together with some people several days a week and listen to them.  They give me some good advice and wisdom."  Ah!  I thought.  Maybe God is acting in my friends life through others.  I told him so.  A light went on for him.  Even if we have no faith, God can work through others for our benefit.  Just find the right "others."  

No comments:

Post a Comment