Sunday, April 21, 2019

Resurrection

Happy Easter.  Why is it that pictures of the Risen Jesus most often have him all buffed, no pimples or facial blemishes, looking like he just had a good shower, with his beard trimmed and hair all clean?  Is resurrection all about lookin' good?  At least the Buddha is fat.  Happy, but fat.  In Boulder, Colorado fat is a misdemeanor.  I will never look like Jesus.  I have a very imperfect body and it is made more imperfect by age.  Should I get blessed to be raised up, whatever that might be, will I be given a body I never had?  Do we even have bodies in heaven?  Only Jesus, Mary and Elisha seem to have gone "up" with bodies.  Come to think of it, Mary looks pretty good in all the visions of her.  A lot of us don't believe in afterlife, but we try real hard to look buffed and blemish-free through exercise, cosmetics and such.  For me, looking good takes away from what is really important about resurrection, and that is "being good."  I would prefer Jesus depicted as someone more normal.  Was he not a Jew?  He never looks like a Jew.  I can relate to Jews.  Buffed gods do not do it for me.  I makes me feel I have no chance.  I think of resurrection as a normal, everyday body being raised, that shines with happiness.  Happiness that comes from within and from living a good and loving life, is what makes us beautiful, and most perfect.  Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment