Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Sibyllina

Once there was a woman who became blind.  One day, in a dream, she realized that she was not to recover her eyesight.  She could have committed suicide or gone into deep depression, or became super needy and self-pitying as partial responses to this realization.  She did none of those things.  She had a rather she response to being blind.  What was it?  That her life was no less meaningful for her disability.  She became a woman who dispensed advice to all kinds of people who sought her out. She did a lot of prayer and meditation.  She did what she could and did not focus on what she could not do.  My disabilities do not diminish the meaning or usefulness of my life.  I may have limitations, things I can no longer do.  But I can still be very useful and of service to others.  I can still meditate and enjoy some solitude.  One door closes and another opens up.  Have not all recovering addicts discovered this?  And people recovering from divorce, death of spouse, loss of job, career and home? Dementia might be a loss that diminishes.  I will be as useful as I can be while I have some working brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment