Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Shepherd

In many spiritual traditions that have some divine force, source, entity, power, none of which is ourselves, this power is referred to as a Shepherd.  I guess that sheep raising was rather prevalent all over the world back when the traditions were being formed and developed.  This idea of shepherd gives me comfort because a shepherd is always with the sheep.  The sheep don’t see very well, and can get into a lot of mischief as they might wander off to places not safe for them.  They do hear well and recognize the shepherd’s voice.  I like it that even when the sheep sleep, the shepherd is nearby, even if they don’t see him.  The shepherd is watching and protecting the sheep.  I like it that my divine power is with me when I am in bed, sleeping, and with me when I might wander off into mischief.  Been there and done that!  My prayer is to listen for the shepherd.  Paying attention is sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment